Re: [RFC net-next 00/15] net: A socket API for LoRa

From: Andreas FÃrber
Date: Wed Aug 08 2018 - 20:51:03 EST

Am 05.08.2018 um 02:11 schrieb Andreas FÃrber:
> Am 03.07.2018 um 17:11 schrieb Jian-Hong Pan:
>>> 5) Many of the modules support multiple modes, such as LoRa, LoRaWAN and FSK.
>>> Lacking a LoRaWAN implementation, I am currently switching them into LoRa
>>> mode at probe time wherever possible. How do we deal with that properly?
[...]
> Independently of what LoRaWAN does, the
> user needs to be able to send on the physical layer from a selection of
> LoRa, GFSK, FSK, OOK, GMSK and MSK.
> Supposedly Wireless M-Bus and IEEE 802.15.4 can be implemented via those
> according to the SX1276 datasheet.
>
> This opens a can of worms...
>
> SX127x has a single channel, so I don't think there should be six
> network interfaces lora0, gfsk0, fsk0, ook0, gmsk0 and msk0 exposed to
> the user.
> Having a lora0 interface speak non-LoRa modulations may be confusing,
> but since the chip is sold as LoRa transceiver it might be acceptable.
>
> SX130x has 8+2 channels, with IF9 dedicated to GFSK/FSK. It appears to
> use one FIFO for receiving (up to 16 packets) and can only transmit one
> packet at a time. So I think this should be one lora0 interface, too.
>
> With a view to supporting non-LoRa RF chipsets such as Si4xxx (GFSK,
> FSK, OOK) or nRF905 and nRF24L01+ (both GFSK) at a later date, I don't
> think those modulations should be some netlink option on a PF_LORA
> interface but cleanly distinguished as ETH_P_GFSK or something.
> For example, the Chistera Pi HAT has both an RFM95W and an RFM22 module.

Answering myself here: MSK is a special case of FSK, and GMSK a special
case of GFSK. SX1276 allows to switch between LoRa and FSK/OOK modes,
and in FSK/OOK mode between FSK and OOK modulation types and for FSK
modulation allows to set Gaussian filter values. I assume (G)MSK is
selected indirectly through BitRate and Fdev settings or something.

So we would just need ETH_P_FSK and ETH_P_OOK plus some skb fields for
ETH_P_FSK.

Regards,
Andreas

--
SUSE Linux GmbH, Maxfeldstr. 5, 90409 NÃrnberg, Germany
GF: Felix ImendÃrffer, Jane Smithard, Graham Norton