Re: Redoing eXclusive Page Frame Ownership (XPFO) with isolated CPUs in mind (for KVM to isolate its guests per CPU)

From: Dave Hansen
Date: Mon Aug 20 2018 - 19:00:29 EST

On 08/20/2018 03:35 PM, Tycho Andersen wrote:
> Since meltdown hit, I haven't worked seriously on understand and
> implementing his suggestions, in part because it wasn't clear to me
> what pieces of the infrastructure we might be able to re-use. Someone
> who knows more about mm/ might be able to suggest an approach, though

Unfortunately, I'm not sure there's much of KPTI we can reuse. KPTI
still has a very static kernel map (well, two static kernel maps) and
XPFO really needs a much more dynamic map.

We do have a bit of infrastructure now to do TLB flushes near the kernel
exit point, but it's entirely for the user address space, which isn't
affected by XPFO.