Re: [RFC] IPMI state machine regression

From: Corey Minyard
Date: Wed Aug 22 2018 - 12:14:59 EST

On 08/21/2018 05:14 PM, Andrew Banman wrote:
Dear IPMI supporters,

We observe a window in IPMI BT's opportunistic get capabilities request,
wherein GET_DEVICE_GUID and GET_DEVICE_ID requests may start while the BT state
machine is in WR_CONSUME. Following this, the 0xD5 error code is forced in
bt_start_transaction, IPMI fails to initialize, and the interface is torn down.
There is no mechanism to retry bringing up the interface in open() /dev/ipmi.
This leaves IPMI hosed until you reload modules. Looks to happen after we call
schedule().

When was the latest kernel where this worked properly? Also, what hardware is this?

BTW, you can use the "hotmod" capability of the IPMI driver to add the device
dynamically.

-corey