Re: [GIT PULL] XArray for 4.19

From: Matthew Wilcox
Date: Wed Aug 22 2018 - 14:23:41 EST

On Tue, Aug 21, 2018 at 08:00:18PM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 21, 2018 at 7:50 PM Matthew Wilcox <willy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > So, should I have based just on your tree and sent you a description of
> > what a resolved conflict should look like?
>
> Absolutely.
>
> Or preferably not rebasing at all, just starting from a good solid
> base for new development in the first place.

Ah, I remember now, it was more complex than a textual conflict.

Dan added an entirely new function here:

http://git.infradead.org/users/willy/linux-dax.git/commitdiff/c2a7d2a115525d3501d38e23d24875a79a07e15e

which needed to be converted to XArray. So I should have pulled in his
branch as a merge somewhere close to the end of my series, then done a
fresh patch on top of that to convert it?

It would have been pretty ugly because he modified a function I deleted.
I might try it out just to show how bad it would have been.