Re: SEV guest regression in 4.18

From: Sean Christopherson
Date: Fri Aug 24 2018 - 12:24:20 EST

On Fri, Aug 24, 2018 at 10:41:27AM -0500, Brijesh Singh wrote:

> On 08/23/2018 11:16 AM, Paolo Bonzini wrote:

> >>Wouldn't that result in exposing/leaking whatever code/data happened
> >>to reside on the same 2M page (or corrupting it if the entire page
> >>isn't decrypted)? Or are you suggesting that we'd also leave the
> >>encrypted mapping intact?
> >
> >Yes, exactly the latter, because...
>

> Hardware does not enforce coherency between the encrypted and
> unencrypted mapping for the same physical page. So, creating a
> two mapping of same physical address will lead a possible data
> corruption.

But couldn't we avoid corruption by ensuring data accessed via the
unencrypted mapping is cache line aligned and sized? The CPU could
speculatively bring the encrypted version into the cache but it
should never get into a modified state (barring a software bug, but
that would be a problem regardless of encryption).