Re: [Intel-gfx] [REGRESSION 4.19-rc2] sometimes hangs with black screen when resuming from suspend or hibernation (was: Re: Linux 4.19-rc2)

From: Martin Steigerwald
Date: Wed Sep 12 2018 - 17:04:01 EST

Ville SyrjÃlà - 12.09.18, 19:10:
> On Tue, Sep 11, 2018 at 12:17:05PM +0200, Martin Steigerwald wrote:
> > CcÂd Intel Gfx mailing list, in case somebody there knows something:
> >
> > CcÂd Thorsten for regression trackingâ forgot initially. Can also
> > open bug report at a later time but so far I cannot provide many
> > details about the issue.
> >
> > Rafael J. Wysocki - 11.09.18, 10:17:

> > > There were almost no general changes related to system-wide PM
> > > between 4.18 and current, so I would suspect one of the device
> > > drivers or the x86 core. It also may be something like CPU
> > > online/offline, however.>
> > I see. I wondered about intel-gfx driver already. Of course it could
> > also be something else.
> >
> > I forgot to mention: The mouse pointer was visible, but the screen
> > remained black.
>
> Did the mouse cursor still move or not?

No, it did not move.

> Could also try suspend without any GUI stuff in the way. Or try the
> intel ddx instead of the modesetting ddx (assuming that's what
> you're using now) and no compositor to rule out GPU hangs killing
> the compositor. The intel ddx can also deal with the GPU not
> recovering from a hang by switching to software rendering,
> whereas modesetting cannot.

Thanks for these suggestions. Currently laptop is still on 4.18 again
(4.18.7) and I did not see this hang after resume so far. If it
continues to be stable for a few more days, I try with latest 4.19 again
as then its very likely kernel related.

> Hmm. Also T520 is an optimus laptop maybe? If there's an nvidia
> GPU involved it's going to be hard to get anyone to care. Better
> switch that off in the BIOS if you haven't already.

I decided back then for Intel only graphics. I never regretted this.

For me NVidia graphics is not an option, unless NVidia significantly
changes their policy regarding free software drivers.

Thanks,
--
Martin