Re: possible deadlock in blkdev_reread_part

From: Tetsuo Handa
Date: Thu Sep 13 2018 - 09:44:05 EST

On 2018/09/13 21:58, Dmitry Vyukov wrote:
> On Wed, May 2, 2018 at 1:23 PM, Dmitry Vyukov <dvyukov@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> On Wed, May 2, 2018 at 12:30 PM, Tetsuo Handa
>> <penguin-kernel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>> OK, thanks. But among loop related reports, this will be a dup of
>>> "INFO: rcu detected stall in blkdev_ioctl" which already has C reproducer.
>>> Should we merge them?
>>
>> Yes, sure, I will take care of it.
>
> 1. I forgot to take care of it.
>
> 2. "INFO: rcu detected stall in blkdev_ioctl" was fixed 3 months ago:
> https://syzkaller.appspot.com/bug?id=1f7b710f4110f225aed1f4263ec2b98b8dbd472e
>
> but this bug still happens up until now:
> https://syzkaller.appspot.com/bug?id=bf154052f0eea4bc7712499e4569505907d15889
>
> So this is a different bug.

I'm not sure what you are talking about.
RCU stall and lockdep warning are obviously different bugs.

Regarding lockdep warning on loop module, we are still waiting for Jens to
come up a better alternative than
http://lkml.kernel.org/r/1527297408-4428-1-git-send-email-penguin-kernel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx .
Since no alternative was proposed, I think we should start testing my patch.