Re: [SCHEDULER] Performance drop in 4.19 compared to 4.18 kernel

From: Jirka Hladky
Date: Fri Sep 14 2018 - 10:50:24 EST

Hi Peter and Srikar,

> I have bounced the 5 patches to you, (one of the 6 has not been applied by
> Peter) so I have skipped that.
> They can also be fetched from
> http://lore.kernel.org/lkml/1533276841-16341-1-git-send-email-srikar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I'm sorry for the delay, we have finally the results for the above
kernel. The performance results look good compared to 4.19 vanilla and
are about the same as Mel's sched-numa-fast-crossnode-v1r12 patch set
for 4.18:

Compared to kernel-4.19.0-0.rc1.1

* Improvement upto 20% for SPECjbb2005, SPECjvm2008 benchmarks
* Improvement upto 50% for stream benchmark
* Improvement upto 100% for the NAS benchmark (sp_C subtest, 8
threads on 4 NUMA system with 4x E5-4610 v2 @ 2.30GHz, 64 cores in
total)

When I compare it against Mel's patchset
(git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/mel/linux.git
sched-numa-fast-crossnode-v1r12)

* Mel's kernel is about 15% faster for stream benchmarks
* The other benchmarks show very similar results with both kernels

Mel's patchset eliminates NUMA migration rate limits, this is
presumbly the reason for the good stream results.

Do you have any update when the current patchset could be merged into
the upstream kernel?

Thanks a lot!
Jirka