Re: Code of Conduct: Let's revamp it.

From: Jonathan Corbet
Date: Wed Sep 19 2018 - 10:18:17 EST

On Wed, 19 Sep 2018 07:00:26 +0100
Edward Cree <ec429@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> By placing a corporate body (the LF) in
> Âthe position of arbiter, an avenue is opened for commercial pressure to be
> Âapplied; and the legalistic phrasing of the Code practically invites
> rules-
> Âlawyering whereby the most abusive may twist it into a weapon to further
> Âtheir abuse.

I'd like to address just this part, speaking only for myself.

The LF is not in the position of arbitrating anything here. The body
charged with that is the LF Technical Advisory Board, which is a
different thing. It's currently this motley crowd:

https://www.linuxfoundation.org/about/technical-advisory-board/

I think most of us would agree that those folks lack the desire to go
around harassing developers, and they lack the time to do so in any
case.

The TAB is chosen by a vote of developers at the kernel summit; that will
happen in Vancouver in November.

jon