Re: Code of Conduct: Let's revamp it.

From: Christoph Conrads
Date: Tue Sep 25 2018 - 09:41:02 EST

Dear Eric,

> > The CoC is a political document:
> > https://web.archive.org/web/20180924234027/https://twitter.com/coralineada/status/1041465346656530432
>
> And there is no level on which this is anything but bad.
>
> The kernel devs are a very large, very diverse, multi-national, multi-cultural
> group. We have nothing to gain by getting entangled with political culture
> wars, and everything to lose.

In this context, I want to mention the tweet by the CoC author from
August 29, 2018 [1]:

> All software is political.

This tweet was posted as a response to your article "Non-discrimination
is a core value of open source" stating that politics should be kept
separate from work (in an open source community):

> The Lerna projectâs choice is, moreover, destructive of one of the deep
> norms that keeps the open-source community functional â keeping
> politics separated from our work. If we do not maintain that norm, we
> risk fractionating into a collection of squabbling tribes arguing
> particularisms and unable to sustain really large-scale cooperation.

[1]
https://web.archive.org/web/20180925132931/https:/twitter.com/CoralineAda/status/1035009876152467456
[2] http://esr.ibiblio.org/?p=8106

Sincerely