Re: hid: microsoft: Add rumble support for Xbox One S controller

From: Florian Dollinger
Date: Wed Sep 26 2018 - 18:50:09 EST

Sure it is, but:
- it's not an "XBox One S controller", it's a variant of the "XBox One
controller" shipped with the XBox One S.
- we discussed this on the linux-bluetooth mailing-list in August 2016:
https://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-bluetooth/msg68102.html
revived the thread in 2017:
https://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-bluetooth/msg72750.html
and discussed the force feedback in particular in August this year:
https://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-input/msg57744.html
- why would we look for a "driver" when there's already one in the
kernel that supports all the xbox controllers except this one? :)

Really, as much as it's nice to find working code for this device, it's
surprising you didn't contact any kernel developer before, rather than
us having to find you.

Fair enough :)

Yes, but that's not the way the drivers are usually arranged. They're
arranged by vendors, so this driver would need to be merged into the
"hid-microsoft.c" driver.

That's probably the main reason for not getting in touch earlier, I really don't like the idea of putting everything into the same driver just because it is the same vendor - or at leas the same name (even if Microsoft Xbox has nearly nothing to do with other parts of Microsoft).

I'm pretty sure that the USB version can also be made to use HID.

I really don't think so, I already gave it a try. At least not "out of the box".

I have no idea how the RF protocol would work though. I imagine it
requires a dongle, or does it actually use Wi-Fi? (that would be
surprising...).

In theory it does need one, but it is nothing more than normal Wi-Fi (2,4 and 5 GHz) - you can talk to the gamepad using any Wi-Fi card / stick you want. The problem is, that the connection is secured somehow.
If you are interested, take a look here: https://github.com/atar-axis/xpadneo/wiki/Microsoft-Xbox-One-Wireless-Adapter

Anyway, I don't have much time to work on it right this minute, but it
would be great if you could send your Bluetooth patch to start with,
and we can iterate on that, and fix the other problems as we clear the
priority list.

Jap, I will do that - Thank you so far!

Cheers

Dito.