Re: Future of dosfstools project (FAT)

From: Karel Zak
Date: Tue Oct 02 2018 - 05:36:25 EST

On Mon, Oct 01, 2018 at 10:13:41PM +0200, Richard Weinberger wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 1, 2018 at 10:01 PM Andreas Dilger <adilger@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > If the current dosfstools maintainer is non-responsive, you could always
> > fork the project in GitHub, land the critical patches into your branch,
> > and make a release on your own. If the maintainer surfaces again, then
> > they can pull in your patches. If not, then you are the new maintainer.
>
> I also recommend talking to package maintainers of major distros.
> Maybe one of them forked the project already and did what you plan to do.
>
> In any case, let's try to avoid a drama like util-linux-ng was.

Drama? :-) We had confirmed support from all mainstream distros before
the fork and rename. It was really not ad hoc solution. The project
has been renamed back to util-linux after confirmation from the
original maintainer.

Sometimes fork open source project is a good thing. The another
example is mutt -> mutt-kz -> neomutt ;-)

Karel

--
Karel Zak <kzak@xxxxxxxxxx>
http://karelzak.blogspot.com