Re: [GIT PULL] parisc fixes for kernel v4.19

From: Helge Deller
Date: Tue Oct 02 2018 - 17:46:24 EST

Hi Greg,

On 02.10.2018 23:16, Greg Kroah-Hartman wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 02, 2018 at 11:02:13PM +0200, Helge Deller wrote:
>> please pull a last set of fixes for the parisc architecture for kernel 4.19 from:
>>
>> git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/deller/parisc-linux.git parisc-4.19-3
>>
>> The major change is for parisc64 to use a 64-bit suseconds_t type to
>> match what glibc expects for 64-bit userspace. It's an ABI change, but
>> since we don't have a 64-bit userspace on parisc yet, it won't introduce
>> a breakage.
>
> Isn't it a bit "late" in the release cycle for such a change? Why not
> do this on the -rc1 release?

I've tagged it for stable release.
So, it can go in now, or just wait until -rc1 and go in later.

>> Other than that we simply drop unused code and outdated gcc version
>> checks.
>
> Why are those needed now?

The patch in there which is by me changes one line simply cleans up a patch which
went in during the 4.19 merge cycle. So it would be nice to have it
added now before v4.19 gets released.
The other two patches are trivial and just remove dead code.
I rate them all as non-critical, but nice-to-have-in-v4.19.

If you disagree I'm absolutely fine to wait with all of them
for the next merge window.

Thanks!
Helge