Re: [GIT PULL linux-next] Add Compiler Attributes tree

From: Dominique Martinet
Date: Tue Oct 02 2018 - 18:37:13 EST

Miguel Ojeda wrote on Wed, Oct 03, 2018:
> As I have read, -next is supposed to be a vision of what the merge
> window will look like after merging everything, i.e. ideally -rc1. For
> that to work for files out-of-tree (like these ones, which are not
> maintained by a single tree), changes should be allowed to be stacked
> on each other; otherwise, we cannot handle conflicts :-(

The rule is the same as with a regular mainline pull; I don't have the
reference at hand but in some recent-ish pull request Linus said he
prefers the stable version with the conflict, and optionally you can
provide a second branch with the conflict resolved for reference, but
the pull request should be based on something stable even if it has
conflicts

If there is a conflict Stefen will resolve it like Linus/Greg would, and
the resolved bit will be carried over everyday so it's not much more
work -- exactly like a regular pull request for inclusion in the main
tree :)

(Found another mail arguing for stable base[1], but can't find the mail I
was thinking of)
[1] http://lkml.kernel.org/r/CA+55aFw+dwofadgvzrM-UCMSih+f1choCwW+xFFM3aPjoRQX_g@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

--
Dominique Martinet