Re: unwind_init() takes 100 ms

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Tue Oct 09 2018 - 02:12:53 EST

* Josh Poimboeuf <jpoimboe@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > 4. Would a command line parameter be reasonable `disable_unwind`, so people
> > could decrease their boot time with distribution kernels, and easily turn it
> > back on, when they need a stacktrace without having to rebuild the Linux
> > kernel?
>
> I think a boot cmdline option to disable ORC would be ok.

I don't agree with such a kludge: 100 msecs isn't the end of the world for a
distro kernel bootup which takes a lot longer than that typically, and we'd like to
see the build time sorting implemented as well.

Let's fix this for real intstead of a workaround that is going to decrease
the debuggability of the kernel *significantly*.

> I'm not sure about a runtime toggle though. It might be racy and I'd
> rather avoid that completely, unless there's a solid justification for
> it.

No, just no ...

Debug facilities need to be robust, dependable and as simple as possible.

Thanks,

Ingo