Re: [RFC 00/60] Coscheduling for Linux

From: Rik van Riel
Date: Fri Oct 19 2018 - 11:17:03 EST

On Fri, 2018-10-19 at 13:40 +0200, Jan H. SchÃnherr wrote:

> Now, it would be possible to "invent" relocatable cpusets to address
> that
> issue ("I want affinity restricted to a core, I don't care which"),
> but
> then, the current way how cpuset affinity is enforced doesn't scale
> for
> making use of it from within the balancer. (The upcoming load
> balancing
> portion of the coscheduler currently uses a file similar to
> cpu.scheduled
> to restrict affinity to a load-balancer-controlled subset of the
> system.)

Oh boy, so the coscheduler is going to get its
own load balancer?

At that point, why bother integrating the
coscheduler into CFS, instead of making it its
own scheduling class?

CFS is already complicated enough that it borders
on unmaintainable. I would really prefer to have
the coscheduler code separate from CFS, unless
there is a really compelling reason to do otherwise.

--
All Rights Reversed.