Linux Foundation Technical Advisory Board Elections -- Call for nominations

From: Chris Mason
Date: Mon Oct 22 2018 - 20:05:20 EST

Hello everyone,

The Linux Foundation Technical Advisory Board (TAB) serves as the interface between the kernel development community and the Linux Foundation. The TAB advises the Foundation on kernel-related matters, helps member companies learn to work with the community, and works to resolve community-related problems before they get out of hand. We're also working with kernel maintainers to help refine the new code of conduct, and serving as the initial point of contact for code of conduct issues.

The board has ten members, one of whom sits on the Linux Foundation board of directors.

The election to select five TAB members will be held at the 2018 Kernel Summit in Vancouver, Canada. The elections will take place at the conference center on Tuesday November 13th, at 5:30pm.

The election will be open to all attendees of all of the Linux Foundation events taking place that week in Vancouver. Anyone is eligible to stand for election, simply send your nomination to:

tech-board-discuss at lists.linux-foundation.org

The deadline for receiving nominations is up until the beginning of the event where the election is held.

In past years, everyone running for the TAB has given a short speech before the voting began. We've received feedback that the speeches add logistical complexity for the election, and may not be the best indicator of how well qualified someone is for the TAB.

Instead of speeches, this year we're asking candidates to include statements about why they would like to participate in the TAB. These will be combined into a slideshow running during the election, and available via a public google doc at this location:

https://goo.gl/rPEc2v

Even though the deadline for nominations is right before voting begins, any statements must be received by Monday November 12th at 5PM Pacific, so that we have time to setup the slideshow.

Current TAB members, and their election year:

Chris Mason 2016
H. Peter Anvin 2016
Olof Johansson 2016
Rik van Riel 2016
Dan Williams 2016

Jon Corbet 2017
Greg Kroah-Hartman 2017
Steven Rostedt 2017
Ted Tso 2017
Tim Bird 2017

The five slots from 2016 are all up for election. As always, please let us know if you have questions, and please do consider running.

Chris Mason, TAB Chair

[1] TAB members sit for a term of two years, and half of the board is up
for election every year. Five of the seats are up for election now.
The other five are halfway through their term and will be up for
election next year.