kernel 4.19.0 on arm64 raspberry pi disrupts tmux panes on raspberry pi aarch64 only.

From: Mark Anthony Paul Hammond
Date: Mon Oct 22 2018 - 20:40:34 EST

I've been running Debian Sid (unstable) on a Raspberry Pi 3B+. The 4.18 kernel series made it possible for me to finally get the Ethernet eth0 to work, thank you. The native wireless did not work so I added USB dongles and the kernel 4.18 and 4.19-rc's would cause kernel panics on boot up and would only boot if I unplugged the wireless dongles. The 4.19 series would however, tolerate the wifi dongles if inserted after the booting process. However, the kernel would become unstable depending what v4.19-rc* one used. Wireless seems to be stable so far with the current stable v4.19.0. My main concern is, that, even though I tested all the v4.19-rc's I always reverted to the 4.18 series because, using the aarch64 arch, on the Raspberry Pi I use the console exclusively, for obvious reasons, it is quicker. The problem started with the introduction of the 4.19-rc's. I use tmux and I noticed since day one, v4.19-rc1 that when I would switch from one window to another, especially to a window with four panes the text from the previous window would remain, be transferred to the arriving window to the panes on the left side of the screen. I hoped that this would be resolved once v4.19.0 became stable and established but upon building the kernel this morning, the issue is still present. It seems to be an anomaly only affecting the arm64 port because all my x86 machines react normally with the 4.19 series kernels running tmux, it only affects my Pi machines running arm64 linux kernels since v4.19-rc1. Thank you I hope someone can point me to a solution. It takes 8 hours to rebuild a kernel with all the modules one could hope to encounter on a Raspberry pi, and 3 hours for a kernel with only specific modules, just in case anyone cared. Thanks for your time and help.

Mark Anthony Paul Hammond.