Not-so-old machines without PAE was Re: 32-bit PTI with THP = userspace corruption

From: Pavel Machek
Date: Tue Oct 23 2018 - 05:11:33 EST

On Mon 2018-10-22 19:48:17, Alan Cox wrote:
> On Mon, 22 Oct 2018 09:56:42 +0200
> Joerg Roedel <jroedel@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > I do have some AMD Geode here, in form of subnotebook. Definitely
> > > newer then Pentium Ms, but no PAE...
> >
> > Are the AMD Geode chips affected by Meltdown?
>
> Geode for AMD was just a marketing name.
>
> The AMD athlon labelled as 'Geode' will behave like any other Athlon but
> I've not seen anyone successfully implement Meltdown on the Athlon so it's
> probably ok.
>
> The earlier NatSemi ones are not AFAIK vulnerable to either. The later
> ones might do Spectre (they have branch prediction which is disabled on
> the earlier ones) but quite possibly not enough to be attacked usefully -
> and you can turn it off anyway if you care.
>
> And I doubt your subnotebook can usefully run modern Linux since the
> memory limit on most Geode was about 64MB.

Well, let me see. The machine is not too useful because of dead
battery, but I don't believe RAM would be a problem. It has 512MB or
more, IIRC. Missing PAE is, and missing instructions are. And horrible
keyboard and bad driver support from Linux. And... Ouch and fact that
I use its power supply to power something else.

It looks similar to this:
https://hexus.net/tech/news/laptop/13994-kohjinsha-launches-impressive-subnotebook-twist/
(but has no touchscreen).

Bios is "built 03/02/2007".

CPU is "AuthenticAMD" family 5 model 10, "Geode(TM) Integrated Processor
by AMD PCS". 500 MHz, flags "fpu de pse tsc msr cx8 sep pge cmov
clflush mmx mmxext 3dnowext 3dnow". 512MB RAM.

This is not a suitable compile server, but still could work as a
subnotebook given right software...

Pavel