Re: The linux devs can rescind their license grant.

From: Iván Chavero
Date: Thu Oct 25 2018 - 19:32:50 EST

El jue, 25-10-2018 a las 16:47 -0400, Theodore Y. Ts'o escribiÃ:
> On Thu, Oct 25, 2018 at 03:39:01PM -0400, Eric S. Raymond wrote:
> >
> > Under Jacobsen vs. Katzer (535 f 3d 1373 fed cir 2008) authors of
> > GPLed software have a specific right to relief (including
> > injunctive
> > relief) against misappropriation of their software. That ruling
> > (which
> > was the case of first impression on the binding status of the GPL)
> > reputational damage is *specifically* recognized as grounds for
> > relief.
>
> I've read the legal briefs, and I'm pretty sure they don't say what
> you are claiming they say. Yes, I'm not a lawyer --- but that's OK
> --- neither are you.
>
> > The anti-CoC dissidents don't have to rescind their license grant
> > cause a great deal of trouble.
>
> The *vast* majority of the "anti-CoC dissidents" who have been
> advancing this argument, have, as near as I can tell, little or no
> copyright ownership in the kernel. They are external trolls who are
> not members of the kernel development community, to the best of my
> belief and knowledge.

I understand the point, but being an outsider from the kernel
development community, does not mean i should not care about Linux
development and this particular community.

I have been promoting, using, installing, testing and loving Linux for
more than 20 years now. One of the things that got me into it and still
appreciate a lot is the meritocracy: the norm of technical excellence,
the: "it does not matter who you are as long as you contribute good
code".

This CoC "movement" is part of an anti meritocracy "movement" that
should not be influencing a project that thanks to this meritocracy has
become the most important in the world.

I'll take one of the arguments of the CoC promoters and use it on my
favor: The Linux community has grown more than just a bunch of
developers it has: promoters, users, testers, enthusiast, companies,
foundations, etc...
I wouldn't like that a negative code of conduct (yes its languaje is
aggresive and charged with negativity, politics and victimization)
compromise the technical aspects of a critical system like the Linux
kernel.

When it comes to coding, Engineers should be above that stuff.

> In short; they are adding noise to the conversation, and have been
> presuming that in fact people are going to be regularly and summarily
> ejected from the community. In short, they are adding FUD, probably
> because they have their own agenda.

I have one agenda: World Domination :P

> I would recommend that before people respond such provocation
> messages, that they do a quick "git log" and find out whether they
> have in fact contributed code to the kernel at all, and if so, how
> long ago it was.

Just want to clarify that this is not a provocation, just got tired of
being a passive member of this discussion.

You're right the people with more merit in this list should have a more
important voice since it shows the commitment to the development.

BTW Thanks for the comment, i will start contributing to the extent of
my capacities.

As i say, the reach of Linux is broader than just the development
community. Too bad you can't git log all the servers that people has
installed and maintaining during the years.

> Regards,
>
> - Ted

Cheers,
Ivan