Re: [GIT PULL] XArray for 4.20

From: Matthew Wilcox
Date: Sun Oct 28 2018 - 15:14:01 EST

On Sun, Oct 28, 2018 at 11:50:19AM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 23, 2018 at 1:08 PM Matthew Wilcox <willy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> <
> > Please consider pulling the XArray patch set.
>
> Pulled.

Thanks!

> I took the more recent version of yours, because by the time I
> actually had time to review this thing for pulling, even the recent
> version had been in linux-next for a week.
>
> Of course, I don't think linux-next has been updated, so it's all
> moot, but the point is that I didn't get the feeling that it was all
> some very recent code.
>
> I do like how the conversions look, with the code in some cases
> notably simpler. And it looks like at least one of the conflicts
> (fs/dax.c) was due to a bug-fix to the old code where your simpler
> xarray replacement didn't have the problem.

Yes, that's right. It turned out to be a problem for any multiorder
radix tree user, and that was a consequence of how the radix tree API
worked for multiorder entries. The XArray API just works better for
multiorder entries.

> NOTE! I did get some conflicts with other stuff, and while the
> conflict resolution all looked pretty straightforward, this does want
> looking at.
>
> Particularly the mm/workingset.c code.

I've been rebasing the xarray-conv branch on your tree pretty regularly
this week, so I have a fairly good idea how I think it should look.
I'll check to see if you & I have the same thoughts when you push it out.

> It's still undergoing my build tests to verify my merge, but that
> should be completed soon. I'll do a basic boot test too due to the
> core nature of these changes, but assuming it all passes I'll push
> this out within the next 30 minutes and would appreciate people giving
> it a second look for verification.

Thank you.