Re: Regression found (Stop-marking-clocks-as-CLK_IS_CRITICAL)

From: Hans de Goede
Date: Wed Oct 31 2018 - 05:29:38 EST

Hi,

On 31-10-18 07:02, Mogens Jensen wrote:
âââââââ Original Message âââââââ
On Tuesday, October 30, 2018 7:10 PM, Hans de Goede <hdegoede@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi,

On 30-10-18 19:56, Mogens Jensen wrote:

âââââââ Original Message âââââââ
On Tuesday, October 30, 2018 4:04 PM, Hans de Goede hdegoede@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Hi,
On 30-10-18 16:46, Hans de Goede wrote:

Hi,
On 30-10-18 16:04, Pierre-Louis Bossart wrote:

In addition I am not aware of any baytrail device using plt_clk_0, so moving a common machine driver such a cht_bsw_max98090_ti to use plt_clk0 only would break other devices (e.g. Rambi/Orco). Asking for both clocks to be on might work though,

Ok, so we need to have a DMI based quirk for the Swanky and maybe also
the clapper to use plt_clk_0 there. Asking for 2 clks if we only need
one does not seem like a good plan.

Dean, Mogens,
To write a proper patch for this I'm going to need DMI strings
from your devices.
Can you please run (as normal user):
grep . /sys/class/dmi/id/* 2> /dev/null
And reply with the output of this command?
I have attached the output from a coreboot seabios based clapper.

Thank you.

Should I still test 0001-ASoC-intel-cht_bsw_max98090_ti-Use-pmc_plt_clk_0-ins.patch with SND_SOC_INTEL_CHT_BSW_MAX98090_TI_MACH and asoundrc from Dean? There seems to have been some development in the case since that request was made.

Yes please test that, I expect that to also fix things for the
Clapper, but I need to have that confirmed before submitting a
patch upstream adding a quirk for the Clapper to use pmc_plt_clk_0
instead of pmc_plt_clk_3.

Regards,

Hans

Unfortunately I only have access to longterm kernel 4.14 for building/running on this system, and 0001-ASoC-intel-cht_bsw_max98090_ti-Use-pmc_plt_clk_0-ins.patch does not patch against 4.14.78. Can a test patch for 4.14 be created?

Can you run (as root):

for i in /sys/kernel/debug/clk/pmc_plt_clk_?; do echo -n "$i: "; cat $i/clk_flags; echo; done

When running a kernel with working audio?

Then I can confirm that the Clapper is also using pmc_plt_clk_0, so that I can
fix this for the clapper for 4.18+

I've just checked the 4.14 sources and in 4.14 the SND_SOC_INTEL_CHT_BSW_MAX98090_TI_MACH
driver does not support mclk control yet, so for the 4.14 kernel the only way to
fix this is to revert the 648e921888ad ("clk: x86: Stop marking clocks as CLK_IS_CRITICAL")
commit.

Regards,

Hans