Re: ext4 file system corruption with v4.19.3 / v4.19.4

From: Theodore Y. Ts'o
Date: Tue Nov 27 2018 - 23:16:00 EST

On Wed, Nov 28, 2018 at 03:16:33AM +0300, Andrey Jr. Melnikov wrote:
> Corrupted inodes - always directory, not touched at least year or
> more for writing. Something wrong when updating atime?

We're not sure. The frustrating thing is that it's not reproducing
for me. I run extensive regression tests, and I'm using 4.19 on my
development laptop without notcing any problems. If I could reproduce
it, I could debug it, but since I can't, I need to rely on those who
are seeing the problem to help pinpoint the problem.

I'm trying to figure out common factors from those people who are
reporting problems.

(a) What distribution are you running (it appears that many people
reporting problems are running Ubuntu, but this may be a sampling
issue; lots of people run Ubuntu)? (For the record, I'm using Debian
Testing.)

(b) What hardware are you using? (SSD? SATA-attached?
NVMe-attached?)

(c) Are you using LVM? LUKS (e.g., disk encrypted)?

(d) are you using discard? One theory is a recent discard change may
be in play. How do you use discard? (mount option, fstrim, etc.)

- Ted