Re: 4.14 backport request for dbdda842fe96f: "printk: Add console owner and waiter logic to load balance console writes"

From: Petr Mladek
Date: Wed Dec 12 2018 - 08:36:11 EST

On Wed 2018-12-12 17:10:34, Sergey Senozhatsky wrote:

> > > No problem.
> > > I just meant that -stable people can be a bit "unconvinced".
> >
> > The -stable people tried adding this patch back in April, but ended up
> > getting complaints up the wazoo (https://lkml.org/lkml/2018/4/9/154)
> > about how this is not -stable material.
>
> OK, really didn't know that! I wasn't Cc-ed on that AUTOSEL email,
> and I wasn't Cc-ed on this whole discussion and found it purely
> accidentally while browsing linux-mm list.

I am sorry that I did not CC you. There were so many people in CC.
I expected that all people mentioned in the related commit message
were included by default.

> So if you are willing to backport this set to -stable, then I wouldn't
> mind, probably would be more correct if we don't advertise this as a
> "panic() deadlock fix"

This should not be a problem. I guess that stable does not modify
the original commit messages unless there is a change.

> In the meantime, I can add my Acked-by to this backport if it helps.

I am fine with back-porting the patches now. They have got much more
testing in the meantime and nobody reported any regression. They
seems to help in more situations than we expected. Finally, there is
someone requesting the backport who spent non-trivial time
on tracking the problem and testing.

Best Regards,
Petr