Re: Can we drop upstream Linux x32 support?

From: Thorsten Glaser
Date: Sat Dec 15 2018 - 00:03:55 EST

Andy Lutomirski dixit:

>x32 is not this at all. The kernel ABI part of x32 isn't ILP32. It's
>IP32, 32-bit size_t, and *64-bit* long. The core kernel doesn't

Yeah, I was looking at this from userspace PoV, as I said Iâm not
a Linux kernel programmer.

In BSD we have register_t which is probably the equivalent to your
__kernel_long_t? Maybe removing the âlongâ from the name helps.

But yes, x32 is just a (second to i386) ILP32 userspace API in an
amd64 kernel. This does imply mapping on the userspace (x32) to
kernel (amd64) boundary and back. I would have thought full struct
member mapping, as dalias described, to be the most robust.

>something similar to work using the normal x86_64 syscalls. And I'm

But those would require the longer structs etc. and therefore
lose all the benefits of x32â

bye,
//mirabilos
--
âCool, /usr/share/doc/mksh/examples/uhr.gz ist ja ein Grund,
mksh auf jedem System zu installieren.â