Re: NFS/TCP crashes on MIPS/RBTX4927 in v4.20-rcX (bisected)

From: Trond Myklebust
Date: Mon Dec 17 2018 - 09:51:54 EST

Hi Geert,

On Mon, 2018-12-17 at 15:03 +0100, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:
> Hi Trond,
>
> On Wed, Dec 5, 2018 at 3:47 PM Geert Uytterhoeven <
> geert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Wed, Dec 5, 2018 at 2:45 PM Trond Myklebust <
> > trondmy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > Can you try my linux-next branch on git.linux-nfs.org? It
> > > contains a
> > > fixes for a hang that results from the above commit.
> > >
> > > git pull git://git.linux-nfs.org/projects/trondmy/linux-nfs.git
> > > linux-next
> >
> > Thanks for the suggestion, but unfortunately it doesn't help.
>
> In the mean time, I tried your newer linux-next, no change.
> I tried several other things:
> - remove the packed attribute (why did you add that?),

The packed attribute allows us to avoid a series of copy operations
when decoding the first three elements of a RPC over TCP header (which
is why they are all declared as big endian). The alternative would be
to have a 12 byte buffer there for temporary storage, and then a
duplicate set of 3 32-bit words into which we copy the buffer contents
after extracting them from the (non-blocking) socket.

> - verify (at runtime) that all accesses to fraghdr, xid, and
> calldir
> are aligned,
> - enable RPC_DEBUG_DATA, nothing fishy seen at first sight.
>
> Is anyone else seeing this on MIPS, or any other platform?
> Does mounting NFS with -o nfsvers=3,tcp work on other MIPS platforms?

I have no access to any MIPS hardware for the purposes of testing so
that would be a question for the community.

One thing that I have noticed is that unlike the old code, the bvec
'generic' code does appear to fail to call flush_dcache_page(). Could
that be causing the problem here? If so, why would that not be a
problem in the context of regular block I/O?

Cheers
Trond
--
Trond Myklebust
Linux NFS client maintainer, Hammerspace