Re: tpm_tis TPM2.0 not detected on cold boot

From: Mimi Zohar
Date: Sat Dec 29 2018 - 22:34:32 EST

On Tue, 2018-12-25 at 14:55 +0100, Michael NiewÃhner wrote:
> On Sun, 2018-12-23 at 12:55 +0100, Michael NiewÃhner wrote:
> > Hi Mimi,

> > > No surprise here. kexec would be the equivalent of a soft reboot.
> >
> > Well, I am not that deep in kexec internals but isn't a soft reboot much more
> > than a kexec? I thought kexec would "just" load the new kernel to memory and
> > executes it while a soft reboot goes at least through some UEFI
> > initialization.
> > For example, my pwm fans - in fact the EC - get resetted on a soft reboot,
> > while
> > a kexec does not touch them.

Similarly, the PCRs are not reset on kexec.

> > That is why I wanted to test if there is a different behaviour on kexec
> > compared
> > to a "real" soft reboot. If there was such difference I would have assumed a
> > UEFI bug that does not initialize the TPM correctly.
> > Kexec AFAIK does not invoke any UEFI initialization, so the TPM should be in
> > the
> > same state as before kexec and since there is no difference between sr and
> > kexec
> > I have the feeling there is something wrong in the kernel.
> >
> > Correct me if I am wrong here, please.

But the problem you've described is on a cold boot, not a soft reboot.
ÂBoth the soft reboot and kexec are working properly. ÂIt seems the
difference is that on a cold boot, the TPM takes longer to initialize.

> > My current workaround is to do a machine_emergency_reboot() when TPM isn't
> > detected correctly. That is a pretty hard workaround but it seems to work for
> > now...

This is a again soft reboot.

> > > A while ago, I was "playing" with a pi. Commenting out
> > > tpm2_do_selftest() seemed to resolve a similar problem, but that was
> > > before James' patches. I don't know if that would make a difference
> > > now.
> >
> > Hm, I will try that..
> >

> Unfortunately this did not change anything

Not much I can do now. ÂAfter vacation, I'll set up the pi to see if
it is working properly with a recent kernel.

Mimi