Re: [GIT PULL] sound updates for 4.21

From: Pierre-Louis Bossart
Date: Sun Dec 30 2018 - 19:54:50 EST

On 12/30/18 6:19 PM, Linus Torvalds wrote:
On Sun, Dec 30, 2018 at 3:18 PM Pierre-Louis Bossart
<pierre-louis.bossart@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
The KabyLake Dell XPS13 was initially used for the ASoC driver for
HDaudio, so there is no known hardware-related reason why this problem
happens.
Mine isn't the Kabylake one, it's the older XPS13 9350 (2015 - Skylake) one.
ok. Skylake and Kabylake are nearly identical in terms of audio support so the difference should be minor. I'll try to get a Skylake version so that this never happens again.

The simplest way to make the problem go away is to force the legacy
driver to bind with the (untested) diff below.
That diff is wrong, since it changes the meaning of the binding
numbers, but then the module interface is wrong:

static int skl_pci_binding;
module_param_named(pci_binding, skl_pci_binding, int, 0444);
MODULE_PARM_DESC(pci_binding, "PCI binding (0=auto, 1=only legacy,
2=only asoc");

so I think Takashi's patch to just change the default value of
skl_pci_binding is the better one.

You're right, this description should be changed as well to align the text to enum values, but the idea is identical to Takashi's: use the HDaudio legacy by default.

-Pierre