Re: selftests/bpf doesn't compile

From: shuah
Date: Fri Jan 04 2019 - 14:07:28 EST

Hi Geert,

On 1/4/19 10:16 AM, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:
Hi Shuah,

CC kbuild, gpio

On Thu, Sep 14, 2017 at 5:34 PM Shuah Khan <shuah@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
bpf test depends on clang and fails to compile when

make -C tools/testing/selftests/bpf run_tests

make: clang: Command not found
Makefile:39: recipe for target '.linux-kselftest/tools/testing/selftests/bpf/test_pkt_access.o' failed
make: *** [./linux-kselftest/tools/testing/selftests/bpf/test_pkt_access.o] Error 127
make: Leaving directory '.linux-kselftest/tools/testing/selftests/bpf'

The above failure is indeed due to missing clang.

With "make TARGETS=bpf kselftest" it fails earlier:

make[3]: Entering directory './linux-kselftest/tools/lib/bpf'
Makefile:40: tools/scripts/Makefile.arch: No such file or directory
Makefile:84: tools/build/Makefile.feature: No such file or directory
Makefile:143: tools/build/Makefile.include: No such file or directory

This is due to srctree being "." instead of the actual source tree,
when invoked as "make kselftest".
When using "make -C tools/testing/selftests", srctree is correct.

tools/testing/selftests/bpf/Makefile has:

$(BPFOBJ): force
$(MAKE) -C $(BPFDIR) OUTPUT=$(OUTPUT)/

to enter the tools/lib/bpf directory to force a build of libbpf.a

Note that tools/gpio has the same issue.

There seem to be _four_ different ways to build kselftests
(Documentation/dev-tools/kselftest.rst):

make kselftest
make O=/path/to/output kselftest
make -C tools/testing/selftests
make O=/path/to/output -C tools/testing/selftests

I'm not so fond of the latter two, as they basically run make from
somewhere inside the tree, which complicates things. I believe we don't
support this anywhere else.

Each of the four seem to have (different) issues. Especially when you
throw cross-compiling into the mix. And care about where installed
headers end up (yes, kselftest calls headers_install internally).

I'm working on fixes for some of them, but I don't know how to fix the
srctree issue.

I will take a look at the srctree problem and fix it. I have had to fix
a few individual test Makefiles after ksefltest headers_install went in.

It will be in a week or two. I am taking some time off this week and
next week other than for occasional email checking.

thanks,
-- Shuah