[PATCH 0/2 v5] kdump,vmcoreinfo: Export the value of sme mask to vmcoreinfo
From: Lianbo Jiang
Date: Sun Jan 06 2019 - 20:47:58 EST
This patchset did two things:
a. add a new document for vmcoreinfo
This document lists some variables that export to vmcoreinfo, and briefly
describles what these variables indicate. It should be instructive for
many people who do not know the vmcoreinfo, and it also normalizes the
exported variable as a convention between kernel and use-space.
b. export the value of sme mask to vmcoreinfo
For AMD machine with SME feature, makedumpfile tools need to know whether
the crash kernel was encrypted or not. If SME is enabled in the first
kernel, the crash kernel's page table(pgd/pud/pmd/pte) contains the
memory encryption mask, so need to remove the sme mask to obtain the true
Changes since v1:
1. No need to export a kernel-internal mask to userspace, so copy the
value of sme_me_mask to a local variable 'sme_mask' and write the value
of sme_mask to vmcoreinfo.
2. Add comment for the code.
3. Improve the patch log.
4. Add the vmcoreinfo documentation.
Changes since v2:
1. Improve the vmcoreinfo document, add more descripts for these
2. Fix spelling errors in the document.
Changes since v3:
1. Still improve the vmcoreinfo document, and make it become more
clear and easy to read.
2. Move sme_mask comments in the code to the vmcoreinfo document.
3. Improve patch log.
Changes since v4:
1. Remove a command that dumping the VMCOREINFO contents from this
2. Merge the 'PG_buddy' and 'PG_offline' into the PG_* flag in this
3. Correct some of the mistakes in this document.
*** BLURB HERE ***
Lianbo Jiang (2):
kdump: add the vmcoreinfo documentation
kdump,vmcoreinfo: Export the value of sme mask to vmcoreinfo
Documentation/kdump/vmcoreinfo.txt | 500 +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
arch/x86/kernel/machine_kexec_64.c | 3 +
2 files changed, 503 insertions(+)
create mode 100644 Documentation/kdump/vmcoreinfo.txt