Re: linux-next: Fixes tags need some work in the pm tree

From: Rafael J. Wysocki
Date: Wed Jan 16 2019 - 06:35:27 EST

On Wednesday, January 16, 2019 12:43:31 AM CET Michael Ellerman wrote:
> "Rafael J. Wysocki" <rjw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
> > On Tuesday, January 15, 2019 11:43:05 PM CET Stephen Rothwell wrote:
> >> Hi Rafael,

> >> Documentation/process/submitting-patches.rst has the following, but I
> >> am sure people are happy to discuss changes and it does say "For
> >> example", so maybe I am being to strict?
> >
> > If that's the source of it, then it's rather weak IMO.
> >
> > Formal requirements should be documented as such and I would expect that
> > to happen through the usual process: patch submission, review, acceptance etc.
>
> It is documented, in submitting-patches.rst.
>
> That was submitted to lkml:
>
> https://lore.kernel.org/lkml/1396949135-27122-1-git-send-email-jeffrey.t.kirsher@xxxxxxxxx/
>
> And committed by Linus:
>
> 8401aa1f5997 ("Documentation/SubmittingPatches: describe the Fixes: tag")

Stephen has already quoted from that doc, but it only gives the format of the
summary line as an example.

> How would we make it more formal than that?

Say somewhere that this particular summary formatting is required?

Also, tags are more of a maintainers' thing and SubmittingPatches doesn't look
like the best place for documenting how the maintainers are expected to format
their commits.

> > Moreover, extending advice on to how submit paches to formatting requirements
> > for commits feels like a bit of a stretch to me.
> >
> >> The counter argument is that
> >> there are various (semi-)automated processes that use these tags and
> >> being consistent probably makes those processes (and life for those who
> >> run them) easier.
> >
> > And frankly I wouldn't expect any of these to even look at the summary
> > lines as they have not been consistent historically and the SHA-1 ID should
> > be sufficient to identify the commit in question.
>
> It usually is, but it's still a good sanity check to have the subject in
> there, especially for cases where the SHA is wrong (though that should
> be less of a problem in future due to Stephen doing these checks).

A human can look at the summary after a script has not found the commit by
ID, but the human then doesn't care about the quoting characters.

Also it is rather straightforward to strip the quoting characters in a script
whatever they are.

My point basically is that in order to call something "malformed", you need
to provide a formal definition of what is expected. An example in
SubmittingPatches doesn't seem quite sufficient to me for that role.

Cheers,
Rafael