Re: Plain accesses and data races in the Linux Kernel Memory Model

From: Andrea Parri
Date: Thu Jan 17 2019 - 10:04:02 EST

On Wed, Jan 16, 2019 at 10:36:58PM +0100, Andrea Parri wrote:
> [...]
>
> > The difficulty with incorporating plain accesses in the memory model
> > is that the compiler has very few constraints on how it treats plain
> > accesses. It can eliminate them, duplicate them, rearrange them,
> > merge them, split them up, and goodness knows what else. To make some
> > sense of this, I have taken the view that a plain access can exist
> > (perhaps multiple times) within a certain bounded region of code.
> > Ordering of two accesses X and Y means that we guarantee at least one
> > instance of the X access must be executed before any instances of the
> > Y access. (This is assuming that neither of the accesses is
> > completely eliminated by the compiler; otherwise there is nothing to
> > order!)
> >
> > After adding some simple definitions for the sets of plain and marked
> > accesses and for compiler barriers, the patch updates the ppo
> > relation. The basic idea here is that ppo can be broken down into
> > categories: memory barriers, overwrites, and dependencies (including
> > dep-rfi).
> >
> > Memory barriers always provide ordering (compiler barriers do
> > not but they have indirect effects).
> >
> > Overwriting always provides ordering. This may seem
> > surprising in the case where both X and Y are plain writes,
> > but in that case the memory model will say that X can be
> > eliminated unless there is at least a compiler barrier between
> > X and Y, and this barrier will enforce the ordering.
> >
> > Some dependencies provide ordering and some don't. Going by
> > cases:
> >
> > An address dependency to a read provides ordering when
> > the source is a marked read, even when the target is a
> > plain read. This is necessary if rcu_dereference() is
> > to work correctly; it is tantamount to assuming that
> > the compiler never speculates address dependencies.
> > However, if the source is a plain read then there is
> > no ordering. This is because of Alpha, which does not
> > respect address dependencies to reads (on Alpha,
> > marked reads include a memory barrier to enforce the
> > ordering but plain reads do not).
>
> Can the compiler (maybe, it does?) transform, at the C or at the "asm"
> level, LB1's P0 in LB2's P0 (LB1 and LB2 are reported below)?
>
> C LB1
>
> {
> int *x = &a;
> }
>
> P0(int **x, int *y)
> {
> int *r0;
>
> r0 = rcu_dereference(*x);
> *r0 = 0;
> smp_wmb();
> WRITE_ONCE(*y, 1);
> }
>
> P1(int **x, int *y, int *b)
> {
> int r0;
>
> r0 = READ_ONCE(*y);
> rcu_assign_pointer(*x, b);
> }
>
> exists (0:r0=b /\ 1:r0=1)
>

> C LB2

> [...]

As a more general comment (disclaimer), I'm not sure we want to/can add
all the constraints above. On one hand, for some of them, I ignore the
existence of current use cases in the source (and I don't quite see my-
self encouraging their adoption...); on the other hand, these certainly
do not make the model "simpler" or easier to maintain (in a sound way).

Moreover, I doubt that runtime checkers a la KTSan will ever be able to
assist the developer by supporting these "dependency orderings". [1]

Maybe we could start by adding those orderings that we know are "widely"
relied upon _and_ used by the developers, and later add more/strengthen
the model as needed (where feasible).

Thoughts?

Andrea

[1] https://groups.google.com/d/msg/ktsan/bVZ1c6H2NE0/gapvllYNBQAJ