Re: kmemleak panic

From: Robin Murphy
Date: Mon Jan 21 2019 - 10:53:33 EST

On 21/01/2019 15:42, Rob Herring wrote:
+Mike Rapoport

On Mon, Jan 21, 2019 at 8:37 AM Catalin Marinas <catalin.marinas@xxxxxxx> wrote:

On Mon, Jan 21, 2019 at 07:35:11AM -0600, Rob Herring wrote:
On Mon, Jan 21, 2019 at 6:19 AM Robin Murphy <robin.murphy@xxxxxxx> wrote:

On 21/01/2019 11:57, Marc Gonzalez wrote:
[...]
# echo dump=0xffffffc021e00000 > /sys/kernel/debug/kmemleak
kmemleak: Object 0xffffffc021e00000 (size 2097152):
kmemleak: comm "swapper/0", pid 0, jiffies 4294892296
kmemleak: min_count = 0
kmemleak: count = 0
kmemleak: flags = 0x1
kmemleak: checksum = 0
kmemleak: backtrace:
kmemleak_alloc_phys+0x48/0x60
memblock_alloc_range_nid+0x8c/0xa4
memblock_alloc_base_nid+0x4c/0x60
__memblock_alloc_base+0x3c/0x4c
early_init_dt_alloc_reserved_memory_arch+0x54/0xa4
fdt_init_reserved_mem+0x308/0x3ec
early_init_fdt_scan_reserved_mem+0x88/0xb0
arm64_memblock_init+0x1dc/0x254
setup_arch+0x1c8/0x4ec
start_kernel+0x84/0x44c
0xffffffffffffffff

OK, so via the __va(phys) call in kmemleak_alloc_phys(), you end up with
the linear map address of a no-map reservation, which unsurprisingly
turns out not to be mapped. Is there a way to tell kmemleak that it
can't scan within a particular object?

There was this patch posted[1]. I never got a reply, so it hasn't been applied.

https://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/995367/

Thanks Rob, I wasn't aware of this patch (or I just missed it at the
time).

I wonder whether kmemleak should simply remove ranges passed to
memblock_remove(), or at least mark them as no-scan.

Seems reasonable to me, but of course that impacts a lot of other
cases. Maybe Mike R has some thoughts?

In particular, might that risk crippling kmemleak on EFI arm64 EFI, where we memblock_remove() the entire physical address space (but then rebuild the memblock list from scratch)?

FWIW, from the reserved-memory angle I think that patch looks reasonable as-is (modulo perhaps a kmemleak_no_scan_phys() wrapper for API symmetry). MEMBLOCK_NOMAP is already a massive pain in the bum and I'd really rather not introduce any more usage of it if at all possible.

Robin.