Re: Question on handling managed IRQs when hotplugging CPUs

From: John Garry
Date: Wed Jan 30 2019 - 05:38:51 EST

On 29/01/2019 17:20, Keith Busch wrote:
On Tue, Jan 29, 2019 at 05:12:40PM +0000, John Garry wrote:
On 29/01/2019 15:44, Keith Busch wrote:

Hm, we used to freeze the queues with CPUHP_BLK_MQ_PREPARE callback,
which would reap all outstanding commands before the CPU and IRQ are
taken offline. That was removed with commit 4b855ad37194f ("blk-mq:
Create hctx for each present CPU"). It sounds like we should bring
something like that back, but make more fine grain to the per-cpu context.

Seems reasonable. But we would need it to deal with drivers where they only
expose a single queue to BLK MQ, but use many queues internally. I think
megaraid sas does this, for example.

I would also be slightly concerned with commands being issued from the
driver unknown to blk mq, like SCSI TMF.

I don't think either of those descriptions sound like good candidates
for using managed IRQ affinities.

I wouldn't say that this behaviour is obvious to the developer. I can't see anything in Documentation/PCI/MSI-HOWTO.txt

It also seems that this policy to rely on upper layer to flush+freeze queues would cause issues if managed IRQs are used by drivers in other subsystems. Networks controllers may have multiple queues and unsoliciated interrupts.

Thanks,
John

.