Re: [RFD] A mount api that notices previous mounts

From: David Howells
Date: Wed Jan 30 2019 - 08:02:01 EST

Karel Zak <kzak@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> It seems more elegant is to ask for Nth option as expected by fsinfo().

More elegant yes, but there's an issue with atomiticity[*]. I'm in the
process of switching to something that returns you a single buffer with all
the options in, but each key and each value is preceded by a length count.

The reasons for not using separator characters are:

(1) There's no separator char that cannot validly occur within an option[**].

(2) Makes it possible to return binary values if we need to.

David

[*] Atomic with respect to remount calls, that is.

[**] Oh, and look at cifs where you can *change* the separator char during
option parsing ("sep=<char>").