PROBLEM: fs: hugetlbfs: boot failure due to specs sentinel missing on linux-next

From: Abel Vesa
Date: Mon Feb 04 2019 - 08:54:12 EST

Hi David,

I found this this morning trying to boot up i.MX8MQ platform.
It's totally unrelated though.

Your commit:
2284cf59cbcec "hugetlbfs: Convert to fs_context"
doesn't put a sentinel at the end of hugetlb_param_specs.

Then, the your commit:
f512b838c1048 "vfs: Add configuration parser helpers"
adds the fs_validate_description where you check for sentinel
but since the hugetlb_param_specs doesn't have it it freezes
inside the following printf:

+ /* Check that the type is in range */
+ if (t == __fs_param_wasnt_defined ||
+ t >= nr__fs_parameter_type) {
+ pr_err("VALIDATE %s: PARAM[%s] Bad type %u\n",
+ name, param->name, t);
+ good = false;
+ } else if (t == fs_param_is_enum) {
+ enums = true;
+ }

IMHO, what happens here is the missing sentinel allows your checking
here to go out of bounds and then the param->name is whatever garbage
happens to be at the end of that array and that makes the printf to
freeze.

This isn't something I looked at really close, so I might be wrong.

I wasn't able to find the mail with the patch to reply to that
so I had to write this as a separate mail.