Re: [LSF/MM TOPIC] Discuss least bad options for resolving longterm-GUP usage by RDMA

From: Doug Ledford
Date: Wed Feb 06 2019 - 20:57:57 EST

On Wed, 2019-02-06 at 14:44 -0800, Dan Williams wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 6, 2019 at 2:25 PM Doug Ledford <dledford@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > Why do we need both? You want to have leases for normal CPU mmaps too?

> > > Then we must continue to ban longterm pin with DAX..
> > >
> > > Nobody is going to want to deploy a system where revoke can happen at
> > > any time and if you don't respond fast enough your system either locks
> > > with some kind of FS meltdown or your process gets SIGKILL.
> > >
> > > I don't really see a reason to invest so much design work into
> > > something that isn't production worthy.
> > >
> > > It *almost* made sense with ftruncate, because you could architect to
> > > avoid ftruncate.. But just any FS op might reallocate? Naw.
> > >
> > > Dave, you said the FS is responsible to arbitrate access to the
> > > physical pages..
> > >
> > > Is it possible to have a filesystem for DAX that is more suited to
> > > this environment? Ie designed to not require block reallocation (no
> > > COW, no reflinks, different approach to ftruncate, etc)
> >
> > Can someone give me a real world scenario that someone is *actually*
> > asking for with this?
>
> I'll point to this example. At the 6:35 mark Kodi talks about the
> Oracle use case for DAX + RDMA.
>
> https://youtu.be/ywKPPIE8JfQ?t=395

Thanks for the link, I'll review the panel.

> Currently the only way to get this to work is to use ODP capable
> hardware, or Device-DAX. Device-DAX is a facility to map persistent
> memory statically through device-file. It's great for statically
> allocated use cases, but loses all the nice things (provisioning,
> permissions, naming) that a filesystem gives you. This debate is what
> to do about non-ODP capable hardware and Filesystem-DAX facility. The
> current answer is "no RDMA for you".
>
> > Are DAX users demanding xfs, or is it just the
> > filesystem of convenience?
>
> xfs is the only Linux filesystem that supports DAX and reflink.

Is it going to be clear from the link above why reflink + DAX + RDMA is
a good/desirable thing?

> > Do they need to stick with xfs?
>
> Can you clarify the motivation for that question?

I did a little googling and research before I asked that question.
According to the documentation, other FSes can work with DAX too (namely
ext2 and ext4). The question was more or less pondering whether or not
ext2 or ext4 + RDMA + DAX would solve people's problems without the
issues that xfs brings.

> This problem exists
> for any filesystem that implements an mmap that where the physical
> page backing the mapping is identical to the physical storage location
> for the file data. I don't see it as an xfs specific problem. Rather,
> xfs is taking the lead in this space because it has already deployed
> and demonstrated that leases work for the pnfs4 block-server case, so
> it seems logical to attempt to extend that case for non-ODP-RDMA.
>
> > Are they
> > really trying to do COW backed mappings for the RDMA targets? Or do
> > they want a COW backed FS but are perfectly happy if the specific RDMA
> > targets are *not* COW and are statically allocated?
>
> I would expect the COW to be broken at registration time. Only ODP
> could possibly support reflink + RDMA. So I think this devolves the
> problem back to just the "what to do about truncate/punch-hole"
> problem in the specific case of non-ODP hardware combined with the
> Filesystem-DAX facility.

If that's the case, then we are back to EBUSY *could* work (despite the
objections made so far).

--
Doug Ledford <dledford@xxxxxxxxxx>
GPG KeyID: B826A3330E572FDD