[ANNOUNCE] kmod 26

From: Lucas De Marchi
Date: Thu Feb 07 2019 - 16:57:40 EST

kmod 26 is out:

https://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/kernel/kmod/kmod-26.tar.xz
https://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/kernel/kmod/kmod-26.tar.sign

Now we also have a new archive for the mailing list:
https://lore.kernel.org/linux-modules/

- Improvements
- Add more error-checking in library functions and remove
warnings on newer
toolchains

- Depmod now handles parallel invocations better by protecting
the temporary
files being used

- Improvements to testsuite and added tests to check the behavior
regardless of the features enabled in the kernel and
libraries we link to

- Teach the --show-exports option to modprobe. This works similarly to
--show-modversions, but it reports the exported symbols from
that module.
Under the hood this reads the .symtab and .strtab sections rather than
__versions so it shows useful data even if kernel is
configured without
modversions (CONFIG_MODVERSIONS)

- Teach pkcs7 parsing to modinfo by using openssl. This allows
modinfo to
correctly parse the signature appended to a module by the kernel build
system when configured with CONFIG_MODULE_SIG_ALL, or when externally
signed by the distro. Traditionally modules were signed and a struct
was appended together with the signature to the end of the module.
This has changed on the kernel for pkcs#7 and now the structure isn't
filled out with useful information. So we have to parse the signature
block in order to return useful data to the user.

If kmod is linked with openssl we parse the signature and return the
fields as we do for other signatures. An example of the relevant part
on the output of modinfo is below:

Before:
sig_id: PKCS#7
signer:
sig_key:
sig_hashalgo: md4
After:
sig_id: PKCS#7
signer: Fedora kernel signing key
sig_key:
51:C4:0C:6D:7E:A5:6C:D8:8F:B4:3A:DF:91:78:4F:18:BC:D5:E4:C5
sig_hashalgo: sha256

If kmod is not linked to openssl we just start printing
"unknown" in the
sig_hashalgo field rather than the bogus value.

Shortlog is below:

Caio Marcelo de Oliveira Filho (1):
testsuite: add Clear's mkosi configuration

Chris Stackpole (1):
Phrasing correction in modprobe man page

Daniel Kahn Gillmor (1):
man: Fix typo

Jakov Simunic (1):
build: fix wrong quotes on bootstrap

Jan Engelhardt (1):
kmod: build: cure compiler warnings showing up externally

Luca Bruno (1):
libkmod-module: check for NULL before accessing pointers

Lucas De Marchi (17):
testsuite: raise arch image to 3GB
man: depmod: remove deprecated -m option
mkosi: allow Clear to use test modules
testsuite: add simple test for --show-exports
README: Add link to mailing list archive
Remove bootstrap* scripts
testsuite: split out function to compare outputs exactly
testsuite: add support for testing output against regex
testsuite: move --show-exports test to use regex
Add semaphoreci 2.0 configuration
testsuite: fix modinfo test without openssl
build: enable openssl by default
build: add openssl to CI deps
build: check openssl version
testsuite: mkosi: update files
build: fix make distcheck
kmod 26

Michal Suchanek (3):
depmod: prevent module dependency files missing during depmod invocation
depmod: prevent module dependency files corruption due to
parallel invocation.
depmod: shut up gcc insufficinet buffer warning

Yauheni Kaliuta (6):
modprobe: add --show-exports
signature: do not report wrong data for pkc#7 signature
testsuite: track number of descriptors instead of their state
testsuite: factor out fd related parameters to a structure
testsuite: add modinfo pkcs7 signature test
libkmod-signature: implement pkcs7 parsing with openssl

--
Lucas De Marchi