Re: [RFC] On the Current Troubles of Mainlining Loongson Platform Drivers

From: Alexandre Oliva
Date: Mon Feb 11 2019 - 07:20:40 EST

On Feb 8, 2019, Tom Li <tomli@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> found Alexandre Oliva has stopped maintaining his tree

?!?

I still merge and tag every one of Torvalds' and Greg KH's releases into
the loongson-community tree, resolving trivial conflicts and trying to
verify that it at least builds and passes a smoke test on actual
hardware (after Linux-libre deblobbing, but still).

Occasionally I notice problems and I try to investigate through
bisecting, but, not being a real Linux developer, I seldom get much
further than that.

Two issues that bother me a bit are frequent failure to reboot/poweroff,
that's been around since around 4.10, and, more recently, a very slow
system overall, that's been present since 4.20. I haven't checked
whether they're caused by changes in the loongson-community tree that I
still carry, or if they're already present in upstream releases.

I've already tried to bisect the former, but since the issue is
intermittent, that proved to be too tricky and time-consuming for me.

I haven't tried to bisect the latter yet.

I've considered leaving the loongson-community tree behind and using
upstream releases, but every time I was about to do that, something else
came up that led me to keep at it. I think the last such occurrence was
the removal of the video driver (later reintroduced as a new driver).
So I've kept at it ;-)

--
Alexandre Oliva, freedom fighter https://FSFLA.org/blogs/lxo
Be the change, be Free! FSF Latin America board member