Re: [RFC v3 14/19] Documentation: kunit: add documentation for KUnit

From: Kieran Bingham
Date: Wed Feb 13 2019 - 16:55:49 EST

Hi Brendan,

On 12/02/2019 22:10, Brendan Higgins wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 11, 2019 at 4:16 AM Kieran Bingham
> <kieran.bingham@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Brendan,
>>
>> On 09/02/2019 00:56, Brendan Higgins wrote:

>>> Sorry for the long radio silence.
>>>
>>> I just got around to doing this and I found that there are some
>>> configs that are desirable to have when running KUnit under x86 in a
>>> VM, but not UML.
>>
>> Should this behaviour you mention be handled by the KCONFIG depends flags?
>>
>> depends on (KUMIT & UML)
>> or
>> depends on (KUNIT & !UML)
>>
>> or such?
>
> Not really. Anything that is strictly necessary to run KUnit on an
> architectures should of course be turned on as a dependency like you
> suggest, but I am talking about stuff that you would probably want to
> get yourself going, but is by no means necessary.
>

>> An example of which configs you are referring to would help to
>> understand the issue perhaps.
>>

> For example, you might want to enable a serial console that is known
> to work with a fairly generic qemu setup when building for x86:
> CONFIG_SERIAL_8250=y
> CONFIG_SERIAL_8250_CONSOLE=y
>
> Obviously not a dependency, and not even particularly useful to people
> who know what they are doing, but to someone who is new or just wants
> something to work out of the box would probably want that.

It sounds like that would be a config fragment for qemu ?

Although - perhaps this is already covered by the following fragment:
kernel/configs/kvm_guest.config

>>> So should we have one that goes in with
>>> config-fragments and others that go into architectures? Another idea,
>>> it would be nice to have a KUnit config that runs all known tests
>>
>> This might also be a config option added to the tests directly like
>> COMPILE_TEST perhaps?
>
> That just allows a bunch of drivers to be compiled, it does not
> actually go through and turn the configs on, right? I mean, there is
> no a priori way to know that there is a configuration which spans all
> possible options available under COMPILE_TEST, right? Maybe I
> misunderstand what you are suggesting...

Bah - you're right of course. I was mis-remembering the functionality of
COMPILE_TEST as if it were some sort of 'select' but it's just an enable..

Sorry for the confusion.

--
Regards