Re: BUG: optimized kprobes illegal instructions in v4.19 stable kernels

From: Mathieu Desnoyers
Date: Mon Feb 18 2019 - 09:55:40 EST

----- On Feb 18, 2019, at 7:26 AM, Greg Kroah-Hartman gregkh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 06, 2019 at 01:41:15PM +0900, Masami Hiramatsu wrote:
>> On Tue, 5 Feb 2019 15:06:10 +0000
>> Kees Cook <keescook@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> > Yeah, this was a typo on my part. :(
>>
>> Ah, I thought it had been fixed as same as x86.
>> On x86, all optprobe_template_* are defined as kprobe_opcode_t [],
>> but on arm, it still be kprobe_opcode_t.
>>
>> Hmm, but I think we should use kprobe_opcode_t [] or char[] as asm/sections.h
>> does.
>> OK, I'll prepare for the change.
>
> Did this ever get fixed in Linus's tree? If so, what is the git commit
> id, I can't seem to find anything...

It seems to still be in the arm patch tracking system:

https://www.arm.linux.org.uk/developer/patches/viewpatch.php?id=8834/1

If I understand its status correctly, it is applied to the arm tree, but
perhaps it has not been pulled by Linus yet ? The code is still broken
in Linus' master.

It would be important to get this arm kprobes fix upstream before 5.0
final.

Thanks,

Mathieu

--