Re: [RFC][Patch v9 2/6] KVM: Enables the kernel to isolate guest free pages

From: Alexander Duyck
Date: Tue Mar 12 2019 - 18:57:06 EST

On Tue, Mar 12, 2019 at 2:53 PM David Hildenbrand <david@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 12.03.19 22:13, Alexander Duyck wrote:

> >> To summarize, for now, I think it makes sense to stick with the current
> >> approach as this way we can avoid any locking in the allocation path and
> >> reduce the number of hypercalls for a bunch of MAX_ORDER - 1 page.
> >
> > I'm not sure what you are talking about by "avoid any locking in the
> > allocation path". Are you talking about the spin on idle bit, if so
> > then yes. However I have been testing your patches and I was correct
> > in the assumption that you forgot to handle the zone lock when you
> > were freeing __free_one_page. I just did a quick copy/paste from your
> > zone lock handling from the guest_free_page_hinting function into the
> > release_buddy_pages function and then I was able to enable multiple
> > CPUs without any issues.
> >
> >> For the next step other than the comments received in the code and what
> >> I mentioned in the cover email, I would like to do the following:
> >> 1. Explore the watermark idea suggested by Alex and bring down memhog
> >> execution time if possible.
> >
> > So there are a few things that are hurting us on the memhog test:
> > 1. The current QEMU patch is only madvising 4K pages at a time, this
> > is disabling THP and hurts the test.
> >
> > 2. The fact that we madvise the pages away makes it so that we have to
> > fault the page back in in order to use it for the memhog test. In
> > order to avoid that penalty we may want to see if we can introduce
> > some sort of "timeout" on the pages so that we are only hinting away
> > old pages that have not been used for some period of time.
> >
> > 3. Currently we are still doing a large amount of processing in the
> > page free path. Ideally we should look at getting away from trying to
> > do so much per-cpu work and instead just have some small tasks that
> > put the data needed in the page, and then have a separate thread
> > walking the free_list checking that data, isolating the pages, hinting
> > them, and then returning them back to the free_list.
>
> This is highly debatable. Whenever the is concurrency, there is the need
> for locking (well, at least synchronization - maybe using existing locks
> like the zone lock). The other thread has to run somewhere. One thread
> per VCPU might not what we want ... sorting this out might be more
> complicated than it would seem. I would suggest to defer the discussion
> of this change to a later stage. It can be easily reworked later - in
> theory :)

I'm not suggesting anything too complex for now. I would be happy with
just using the zone lock. The only other thing we would really need to
make it work is some sort of bit we could set once a page has been
hinted, and cleared when it is allocated. I"m leaning toward
PG_owner_priv_1 at this point since it doesn't seem to be used in the
buddy allocator but is heavily used/re-purposed in multiple other
spots.

> 1 and 2 you mention are the lower hanging fruits that will definitely
> improve performance.

Agreed. Although the challenge with 2 is getting to the page later
instead of trying to immediately hint on the page we just freed. That
is why I still thing 3 is going to tie in closely with 2.