Re: serial driver cleanups v2

From: Enrico Weigelt, metux IT consult
Date: Fri Mar 15 2019 - 14:41:42 EST

On 15.03.19 19:11, Andy Shevchenko wrote:

>> The actual goal is generalizing the whole iomem handling, so individual
>> usually just need to call some helpers that do most of the things.
>> Finally, I also wanted to have all io region information consolidated
>> in struct resource.
>
> That's should be a selling point, not just conversion per se.

hmm, I never was good at selling :o

but I'll try anyways: it shall make the code smaller and easier to
read/understand.

does that count ?

> You have to explain that in each commit message, that the change does bring a
> possible new error message printed.

Ok, I wasn't aware of that. Yes, I missed to read the code of that
function carefully and didn't expect that it does more than just a dumb
wrapper around dev_ioremap() that picks out the params from struct
resource.

OTOH, the name, IMHO, is a bit misleading. Any chance of ever changing
it to a more clear name (eg. devm_request_and_ioremap_resource()) ?

> The performance side of the deal, you are lucky here, is not significant
> because it's slow path.

okay :)

--mtx

--