Re: [RFC 0/7] cpuidle: Add poking mechanism to support non-IPI wakeup

From: Leonard Crestez
Date: Wed Mar 27 2019 - 14:40:18 EST

On Wed, 2019-03-27 at 17:45 +0000, Marc Zyngier wrote:
> On 27/03/2019 16:06, Lucas Stach wrote:

> > > If this erratum is affecting more than just IPIs, then indeed I don't
> > > see how this patch series solves anything.
> > >
> > > But the erratum documentation seems to imply that only SGIs are
> > > affected, and goes as far as suggesting to use an external interrupt
> > > would solve it. How comes this is not the case? Or is it that anything
> > > directly routed to a redistributor is also affected? This would break
> > > LPIs (and thus MSIs) and PPIs (the CPU timer, among others).
> >
> > Anything that isn't visible to the GPC and requires the GIC
> > wake_request signal to behave as specified is broken by this erratum.
>
> I really wonder how a timer interrupt (a PPI, hence not routed through
> the GPC) can wake up the CPU in this case. It really feels like
> something like "program CNTV_CVAL_EL0 to expire at some later point;
> WFI" could result in the CPU going to a deep sleep state, and not
> wake-up at all.

This is already a common issue for cpuidle implementions handled by the
"local-timer-stop" property. imx has other timer blocks in the SOC,
they generate SPIs which are connected to GPC.

> This would indicate that not only cpuidle is broken with this, but
> absolutely every interrupt that is not routed through the GPC.

Yes, cpuidle is broken for irqs not routed through GPC. However:

* All SPIs are connected to GPC in a 1:1 mapping
* This series deals with SGIs
* The timer PPIs are not required; covered by local-timer-stop
* LPIs are currently unused (I understand imx-pci uses SPI by default
from Lucas)

Anything missing?

My understanding is that this wake request feature via GIC is new in v3
and this is maybe why HW team missed it during integration. Older
imx6/7 has GICv2 and has deep idle states which always rely on GPC to
wakeup so the approach can work.

--
Regards,
Leonard