Re: Removing pcap? (EZX support in mainline linux)

From: Antonio Ospite
Date: Mon Apr 08 2019 - 17:28:05 EST

On Mon, 08 Apr 2019 21:14:44 +0200
Robert Jarzmik <robert.jarzmik@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> Arnd Bergmann <arnd@xxxxxxxx> writes:
>
> > On Mon, Apr 8, 2019 at 8:58 AM Antonio Ospite <ao2@xxxxxx> wrote:
> >> On Sun, 7 Apr 2019 16:07:41 +0200
> >> Alexandre Belloni <alexandre.belloni@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >> adding Robert to CC as he is listed as the current maintainer of
> >> ARM/EZX SMARTPHONES in the MAINTAINERS file.

> >> As Harald said in another message I tried taking over OpenEZX for a
> >> while, but eventually lost interest.
> >>
> >> JFTR some parts of the project has been backed up here:
> >> https://gitlab.com/openezx
> >>
> >> I should also have a git backup of the wiki somewhere.

> >> I am not aware of any active user but I'd leave the final word to
> >> Robert, IIRC he received some EZX hardware "recently".
> >>
> >> FWIW I think EZX code can be removed if it is a maintenance burden for
> >> anyone.
> >
> > I would prefer if we could either keep or remove all of the ezx code, but not
> > just remove a particular driver. Removing it all now would let us skip that
> > discussion the next time someone has a problem with another device driver
> > for it.
>
> I'm on the same page here. I'm not strongly either for or against EZX removal
> (which would impact AFAIK 6 old Motorola smartphones).
>
> If I can find the wiki archives to cross-check the mask issue (especially
> PCAP_RTC_DAY_MASK), I wouldn't mind seeing a patch on that if it is kept.

Just in case, I uploaded the wiki backup here
https://gitlab.com/openezx/openezx-wiki

> If I can make the EZX boot (the one I got from Antonia), I could even test
> it. As if it's worth it, I'm not personally an active user of this specific
> platform, so if no one is, one less would be less maintainance burden.

Not sure what the mainline status is. The last time I checked, several
years ago, to have an "almost" usable experience some
out-of-tree patches from https://gitlab.com/openezx/openezx were needed.

The repository is a topgit repository. feel free to pop in the #openezx
channel of Freenode for any details.

I reported this discussion on that IRC channel to see if there is anyone
interested. Let's wait a couple of days and then decide.

Thanks,
Antonio

--
Antonio Ospite