Re: PROBLEM: brcmfmac's DMI-based fw file names break built-in fw loader

From: Victor Bravo
Date: Sat May 04 2019 - 15:45:28 EST

On Sat, May 04, 2019 at 09:11:09PM +0200, Arend Van Spriel wrote:
> + Hans, Luis
>
> On 5/4/2019 6:26 PM, Victor Bravo wrote:
> > The brcmfmac driver seems to have partially fixed problems which
> > prevented it to be used in shared system/kernel images for multiple
> > hardware by trying to load it's <config>.txt as
> > <config>.<dmi_sys_vendor>.<dmi_product_name>.txt first and then
> > falling back to <config>.txt. Real-life example:
> >
> > brcmfmac mmc1:0001:1: Direct firmware load for brcm/brcmfmac43340-sdio.ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC.-T100HAN.txt failed with
> > error -2
> > brcmfmac: brcmf_fw_alloc_request: using brcm/brcmfmac43340-sdio for chip
> > BCM43340/2
> >
> > Unfortunately this doesn't really help on systems which use static
> > kernel with firmware blobs (and also text configuration files in case of
> > brcmfmac) built-in using CONFIG_EXTRA_FIRMWARE, as CONFIG_EXTRA_FIRMWARE
> > doesn't support spaces in file names - kernel build fails with
> >
> > CONFIG_EXTRA_FIRMWARE="brcm/brcmfmac43340-sdio.bin brcm/brcmfmac43340-sdio.ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC.-T100HAN.txt"
> >
> > for obvious reasons. So the only way here is to stay with good old
> > brcmfmac43340-sdio.txt and support at most one brcmfmac-equipped machine
> > per kernel image.
> >
> > Please consider filtering the DMI strings and replacing spaces and
> > possibly other invalid characters with underscores, and/or adding module
> > parameter to allow passing the string from command line (using
> > brcmfmac.tag=t100 or brcmfmac.board=t100 to make the module load
> > brcmfmac43340-sdio.t100.txt seems nicer to me, and isn't prone to
> > breaking when DMI strings change on BIOS update).
>
> The intent of the DMI approach was to avoid end-users from passing module
> parameters for this. As to fixing DMI string usage patches are welcome.

Well I think I could also provide a patch to fix, this can be easily
done by adding a string of allowed characters and then replacing
unknown ones with underscores.

> > My brief grep-based research also suggest that strings retrieved
> > by dmi_get_system_info() are passed to firmware loader without any
> > checks for special character, /../ etc. I'm not sure whether this is
> > considered to be proper & safe use, but if it's not, it may also have
> > some security implications, as it allows attacker with access to DMI
> > strings (using root rights/other OS/BIOS/physical access) to mess
> > with kernel space or secure boot.
>
> Hmm. Attackers with that kind of access can do bad is a gazillion ways.

Agreed. It will be definitely easier to make filenames contain only safe
characters than to discuss those ways.

> > I would also really appreciate not allowing future brcm (and other)
> > drivers to leave staging area before they fully support =y.
>
> Define fully support. At the time we moved into the wireless tree (almost a
> decade ago) we did support =y. As such you could consider the DMI approach a
> regression, but I find that a bit harsh to say. Hans made a honest attempt
> and it is something that can be fixed. It can be you providing just that ;-)

Well... I agree that the idea wasn't really complete ;).

As for the patches, I also realized that the txt config file actually
comes from EFI/BIOS, so it's quite possible that it may differ between
BIOS versions. So I'm thinking of 3 patches here:

1) Character filtering as described above.

2) Adding bios_version next to board_type, and changing load order to

<config>.<dmi_sys_vendor>.<dmi_product_name>.<dmi_bios_version>.txt
<config>.<dmi_sys_vendor>.<dmi_product_name>.txt
<config>.txt

3) Adding command-line parameters to override these on problems.

1) breaks backward compatibility, but the DMI code seems to be quite
new so hopefully many people don't rely on it yet.

2) & 3) are backward compatible.

Regards,
v.