Re: PSCI version 1.1 and SYSTEM_RESET2

From: Sodagudi Prasad
Date: Wed May 08 2019 - 21:39:48 EST

On 2019-05-01 02:49, Sudeep Holla wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 30, 2019 at 05:07:31PM -0700, Sodagudi Prasad wrote:
> > On 2019-04-30 14:44, Sodagudi Prasad wrote:

[...]

> > It would nice if there is a config option to reboot the device
> > either in
> > warm or cold in the case of kernel panic.
>
> I presume you prefer to do warm boot in case of panic to get a dump of
> the memory to inspect ? If so, is kexec/kdump not the mechanism to
> achieve that ?

Hi Sudeep,

Thanks for your response and sharing details about your patch.

> If so, is kexec/kdump not the mechanism to achieve that?

Qualcomm is having vendor specific solution to capture ram contents and for
offline analysis.

Ah OK.

> I am just trying to understand the use case. Xilinx asked for the same
> but never got to understand their use case.

Here is the background -
Usually, power off drivers are overriding arm_pm_restart and pm_power_off
callbacks and registering with reboot notifier with some priority for the
reboot operations. Here is the Qualcomm poweroff driver for reference.
https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/tree/drivers/power/reset/msm-poweroff.c

Before vendor chip set specific power off driver is probed, arm_pm_restart
functions pointer holds the psci_sys_reset function. Once vendor power off
driver is probed, vendor drivers can override the arm_pm_restart function
pointer.
https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/tree/drivers/firmware/psci.c#n562

Once vendor driver is probed, drivers can take care of devices warm or hard
reset configuration part properly. But there is a window from
start_kernel() to vendor specific driver probed, devices are getting cold
resets even if kernel crashed. This is due to arm_pm_restart points to
psci_sys_reset function by default. Is this problem clear now?

Too specific use case IMO and I am not sure if we need a generic solution
to deal with this. Anyways, I don't see any check in arch/psci specific
code for what you want, just ensure reboot_mode is set appropriately.
Post a patch and see what people have to say.

Hi Sudeep,

Yes. With your system_reset2 command support addition, just configuring the reboot_mode is good enough.

-Thanks, Prasad

Qualcomm downstream kernel has a lot of use cases with respect device reset
sequence and the downstream driver is much different from upstream drivers.
I think, the above-mentioned problem is common for all the chipset vendors
and it is not specific Qualcomm use cases. I have one downstream solution
to this problem but thought to bring up this problem to the upstream
community for a common solution, so that all the vendors can use it.

May be or may be not, post the patch and let's see.

I have modified below flow to avoid cold restart in the case of early kernel
panic.
panic() --> emergency_restart() --> machine_emergency_restart() -->
machine_restart(NULL);

-Thanks, Prasad

--
The Qualcomm Innovation Center, Inc. is a member of the Code Aurora Forum,
Linux Foundation Collaborative Project