fs/pstore question

From: Ronny Meeus
Date: Thu May 09 2019 - 04:06:37 EST

Hello

I'm using the pstore feature to log kernel crashes.

What I observe is that after reboot, always 2 entries are present in the pstore:

ls -l /mnt/pstore
total 0
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 16372 Jan 1 00:00 dmesg-ramoops-0
-r--r--r-- 1 root root 16372 Jan 1 00:00 dmesg-ramoops-1

If I do not delete the entries and force a new crash, only 2 new
entries are available
after the system is online again and the older entries are overwritten.

The reason for this is that the write index is always initialized to 0
during init.
Is this intentional? I would expect that existing entries are kept
until they are explicitly
deleted or the storage is full. In the latter case the oldest entries
can be replaced.

Best regards,
Ronny