Re: Coccinelle: semantic patch for missing of_node_put

From: Julia Lawall
Date: Mon May 20 2019 - 15:56:10 EST

On Mon, 20 May 2019, Sasha Levin wrote:

> On Mon, May 20, 2019 at 11:52:37AM +0200, Julia Lawall wrote:
> >

> > On Mon, 20 May 2019, Pavel Machek wrote:
> >
> > > Hi!

> > > lines
> > >
> > > How dangerous is missing of_node_put? AFAICT it will only result into
> > > very small, one-time memory leak, right?
> > >
> > > Could we make sure these patches are _not_ going to stable? Leaking
> > > few bytes once per boot is not really a serious bug.
> >
> > Sasha,
> >
> > Probably patches that add only of_node_put should not be auto selected for
> > stable.
>
> I can filter them out, but those are fixes, right? Why are we concerned
> about them making it into -stable?

One of them may have introduced a crash. If there is a bad reference
count manipulation elsewhere, then fixing one could cause a later
incorrect one to make a double free.

On the other hand, I don't know if the one that seemed to cause a crash
really caused a crash. It was detected by syzkaller, and it is also
possible that git bisect ended up at the wrong place.

In any case, forgetting an of_node_put will normally just waste a little
memory, so probably stable kernels don't care.

julia