Re: [GIT PULL] Immutable branch between LEDs, MFD and REGULATOR

From: Lee Jones
Date: Thu May 23 2019 - 04:34:24 EST

On Wed, 22 May 2019, Jacek Anaszewski wrote:

> On 5/22/19 7:42 AM, Lee Jones wrote:
> > On Tue, 21 May 2019, Jacek Anaszewski wrote:
> >
> > > The following changes since commit a188339ca5a396acc588e5851ed7e19f66b0ebd9:
> > >
> > > Linux 5.2-rc1 (2019-05-19 15:47:09 -0700)
> > >
> > > are available in the git repository at:
> > >
> > > git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/j.anaszewski/linux-leds.git tags/ti-lmu-led-drivers
> > >
> > > for you to fetch changes up to 13f5750a60b923d8f3f0e23902f2ece46dd733d7:
> > >
> > > leds: lm36274: Introduce the TI LM36274 LED driver (2019-05-21 20:34:19 +0200)

> > > TI LMU LED support rework and introduction of two new drivers
> > > with DT bindings:
> > >
> > > - leds-lm3697 (entails additions to lm363x-regulator.c)
> > > - leds-lm36274
> > > Dan Murphy (12):
> >
> > > dt-bindings: mfd: LMU: Add the ramp up/down property
> > > dt-bindings: mfd: LMU: Add ti,brightness-resolution
> > > mfd: ti-lmu: Remove support for LM3697
> > > mfd: ti-lmu: Add LM36274 support to the ti-lmu
> >
> > These patches were Acked "for my own reference", which means I'd
> > at least expect a discussion on how/where they would be applied.
> >
> > It's fine for them to go in via the LED tree in this instance and I do
> > thank you for sending a PR. Next time can we at least agree on the
> > route-in though please?
>
> Usually ack from the colliding subsystem maintainer means he
> acknowledges the patch and gives silent approval for merging
> it via the other tree.

Usually the type of Ack you mention takes this form:

Acked-by: Lee Jones <lee.jones@xxxxxxxxxx>

However, the one I provided looks like this:

For my own reference:
Acked-for-MFD-by: Lee Jones <lee.jones@xxxxxxxxxx>

Which clearly says "for my own reference" and not to be taken as an
indication that it's okay for the patch(es) to go in via another
tree.

> This is the usual workflow e.g. in case of massive reworks
> of commonly shared kernel APIs.
>
> Your Acked-for-MFD-by tag is not documented anywhere and I've just
> found out about its exact meaning :-) Note also that it percolated
> to the mainline git history probably because people mistakenly assumed
> it was some new convention (despite that checkpatch.pl complains about
> it). So far there are 12 occurrences thereof in git. I must admit that
> I once unduly made my contribution to that mess.

Being MFD maintainer presents an uncommon and awkward scenario. MFD
is special in that it means we have to work more cross-subsystem than
most (any?). The default for MFD related patch-sets which traverse
multiple subsystem is for them to go in via MFD with Acks from all the
other maintainers. I'm always happy to discuss different merge
strategies, but using the MFD repo is the norm.

The Acked-*-by you see above came as a result of a conversation
between myself and Maintainers I work with the most. It was seen as
the most succinct way of saying that the patch has been reviewed,
whilst providing the least amount of confusion w.r.t. whether it's
okay to be applied to another tree or not. The "for my own reference"
should be clear enough that I provide that tag for my own purposes,
rather than an okay for others to merge it.

> Of course, now being taught about the exact meaning of the tag,
> I will proceed accordingly.

I'd appreciate that, thank you.

> Regarding this one - please hold on for a while with pulling
> the stuff, since we may have some updates from REGULATOR maintainers
> (hopefully Acked-by).

I haven't pulled this yet, but please bear in mind ...

Once an immutable branch is created, it should never, ever change. I
think this is the second pull-request I've had from you [0] and the
second one you've wanted to retract. That should not happen!

This is precisely why I usually find it better for patches to go in
via the MFD tree.

[0] [GIT PULL] LM3532 backlight support improvements and relocation

--
Lee Jones [æçæ]
Linaro Services Technical Lead